Michael Symon kicked off The Chew’s Bucket List Meals with a breakfast surprise: Cornflake Crusted French Toast, which he said he discovered by accident in a diner. I am excited about this idea, because I love French toast anyway.
“The beauty of this French toast is it’s really crunchy on the outside, and creamy and delicious in the center,” Michael told Clinton Kelly and The Chew audience.
The Chew: Crunchy French Toast Substitutions
For this recipe, choose your favorite bread, but avoid one with a thick crust. You can use milk if you don’t like half & half. A pinch of salt balances the sweetness.
If you are feeling experimental, try a different crunchy cereal, but avoid those that have a high sugar content, because the sugar will burn instead of toasting during the cooking process.
- The Chew: Michael Symon Crunchy Cornflake Crusted French Toast Recipe Ingredients
- 3 Eggs
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 3 cups crushed Cornflakes
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 cup Half & Half
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 4 thick slices Challah or Brioche
- 1 cup sliced, chopped Almonds
- 2 sliced Bananas
- Zest of 1/2 Lemon
- Michael Symon: The Chew Cornflake Crusted French Toast Recipe Directions
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Whisk eggs with sugar, cinnamon, half & half, and vanilla.
- Combine almonds and cornflakes.
- Heat a saute pan on medium.
- Coat bread slices in egg wash on both sides.
- Press into the cornflake mixture, coating evenly.
- Add butter to the pan, along with the first two prepared toast slices.
- Brown about three minutes per side and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Repeat the process with the remaining bread.
- Transfer the toast slices to the oven to crisp about 10 minutes.
- To make the syrup, heat some butter in a saute pan.
- Once it’s melted, make an even layer of bananas.
- Cook one minute to let caramelize, without moving the bananas.
- Carefully cook and flip, cooking 30 more seconds before adding maple syrup and lemon zest.
- Add a pinch of salt. Turn heat to low and simmer until evenly heated.
- Slice baked toast and serve with banana syrup.